33%
Straights
No votes
I crochet them
No votes

Total votes : 12

How do you knit socks?

Postby JudyKnits » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:30 am

Hi, I am going to try to get the ball rolling on a conversation...
I now knit all my socks 2 at a time Magic Loop from toe up. I started the normal way with 5 DPs, one at a time, top down. I still like using DPs but not for socks. ML eliminates the "second sock symdrome" which I had. :P
I tried 2 circs but kept using the wrong needle and having to tink back and go again, So it is ML for me.

Judy
JudyKnits

Re: How do you knit socks?

Postby JudyKnits » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:00 am

Where is everyone?
JudyKnits

Postby JudyKnits » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 am

Anyone out there knit socks? Anyone out there?

Judy
JudyKnits

Postby Mary » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 am

Hi Judy,

We had a rocky start getting the ball rolling with this new forum. It might take a bit to get folks to give it a try again.

Best wishes,

Mary
Mary
Site Admin

Postby thebrownspindle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Mary and Judy,

I am glad the forum is up and running again. Hope everyone returns. I already miss Audrey and Pete. As for me. I have gone back to dpns. I did two circs for a few years but for some reason my dpns called me back to my roots. But..it seems that I may be going another direction still...that being a sock knitting machine. It will take me some time to pay for but I will do what I have done with so many other opportunities that have come my way.
Just do it!

Barb R
Shelton Ct
formerly; twobrownears
thebrownspindle

Postby JudyKnits » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 am

Barb, so glad to see you here. I need to contact Audrey and Pete and get them to come back. Are there any others you know that you can contact?

Judy
JudyKnits

Postby thebrownspindle » Sun May 11, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Judy!

Happy Mothers's Day to all the moms on the site and I do hope Pete and Aud come back. If there are others of you lurking please make yourselves known and POST.

I do hope that the info that we accumulated from the old site can be transferred...especially the sock knitting info. That is valuable and should not be lost or forgotten.

I will come back later in the month and write some info about sock knitting for those who are lurking.

bjr
thebrownspindle

Postby Appaloosa » Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi guys!
I've moved on to knitting on circs but not two at a time yet. I miss Audrey and Pete as well. Hope the old gang joins in soon.
Lou
May you always run with the wind at your back and good friends at your side.
Appaloosa

Postby thebrownspindle » Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Got some Trekking XXL and got going on the first pair of socks for 2014. I know The Yarn Harlot is again going to do the 12 pair a year thing, but I just can't do that many pair of socks. They hit me at different times and I have so many ideas in my head for socks that I delay doing anything just because I can't decide which idea to take up.

I will be doing more socks this year than in times past because I need new one. I also want to make a pair of all lace in lace weight stockings and get a nice pair of heeled sandles and wear them out to dinner or church. That has been on my mind to do for some time now and I just have to knit those!

bjr
thebrownspindle

Postby Appaloosa » Sat May 24, 2014 5:06 am

I'm in a sock lull. Our guild has been preparing to host 120 wool fans for St. Distaff day here. We are pretty excited! Today is the day! It was and still is a lot of work for our small group of ladies but it's going to be great. Once it is over, I'm back knitting my stuff! I don't think I can do the 12 pairs of socks in 12 months though! :shock:
L
Appaloosa

Postby Appaloosa » Sat May 24, 2014 5:08 am

Thebrownspindle,
I can't wait to see the photo of the lace stockings!
L
Appaloosa

Postby tamlking » Tue May 27, 2014 12:33 pm

SSS (second sock syndrome) has never really been a problem for me, because I want to wear them NOW! :lol: In order to do that I must knit the 2nd. I always cast on as soon as I finish the first.

I knit them 1 at a time, top down, using 2 circs, typically with size 1 needles. Knit Picks came out with the wood circs in 2 other colors and I got them in various sizes based on color so there's no guessing what size they are. My size 0 and size 3 needles are the Caspian wood circs, size 1 are Sunburst wood circs (I also have them in metal), and size 2 are Harmony wood. The real problem lies in the fact that I have at least 2 sets of each size, so at times I can have multiple pairs of socks on the needles all at once. :roll: :D
tamlking

Postby crochetknitstitch » Wed May 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I knit with the two circulars too and I love it. I am opening a knit shop in Maryland and I could teach the two circular method but do I have to learn how to do the 4 needles so I can teach it. All my stitches ended up on two needles anyway. I can do the magic loop method but I am not as enamored with that method. Please let me know if anyone still does the 4 needle method anymore.
crochetknitstitch

Postby BillS25 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:13 pm

We need an option for 9" circulars :-)
BillS25

Postby JudyKnits » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:57 pm

Don't think I can edit the poll. I guess in a way it would be magic loop since it is one circ, although a much shorter one. :D

Judy
JudyKnits

Postby BillS25 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Magic loop will not ever be one of my choices. I can do it and I teach it to those who want to learn it however I avoid that method like the plague. Too much starting, stopping and fiddling for me lol. In the time it takes me to get one pair done that way I can have three pairs knit up using the 9" circulars. I'll just leave my answer as an outlier haha.
BillS25

Postby mimi17c » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 am

I voted for 2 circs but, I may not have understood your meaning fo 2 circs. I knit 2 socks at the same time one each on a 12" cir needle. I work top down on one then the other and arrive at the toes of both at the same time. I've not been knitting for 3 or 4 yrs, last week my sister ( a diabetic) said " my socks have holes, I need new ones." So, I'm knitting socks again as trying to get her to give up the holey ones so I can mend them! I've always wanted to try the magic loop maybe now I will.
On this NEW socknitter's list are we still able to get e-mail updates?? I looked forward to those daily.
mimi17c

Postby thebrownspindle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Starting some OnLine 6 ply socks for a friend. Size 3 double points. I try to think about two circs but I just can't make myself do it any more. I thought at one time that two circs was the ONLY way to knit socks but now...maybe at 57, it just seems silly to me now. I went back to "porcupine" sock knitting. Oh well.
thebrownspindle

Postby Sole Mate » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:40 pm

I have tried Magic Loop before it was called Magic Loop. I lost a couple of dp and used a circular so I could carry on.

I have also tried two circular needles, but I don’t like to have to pay that much attention. I knit fast enough that using dp do not slow me down.
Sole Mate

Postby yarnfly » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:56 am

Hello Socksters,

Knitting with metal DP's is my favorite and I can do a pair in 4 evenings, with K2-P2 rib to the start of the heel which keeps the socks from snaking down your lower leg, and love Wool Ease for the care and use #4 needles and knit continental so it goes very fast. I no longer have holes along the gussets, and keep the rib on the upper foot only for a better fit. I use to make socks that were not the same length then started using a long strand of contrasting yarn with a darning needle and run the needle into 1 stitch to count every 10 rows and go to the start of the heel (usually 14 or 16 rows), turn the heel and start the thread again with marking every 10th row, this way the socks are exactly the same length, row for row. I Kitchner stitch for the toe, but found a new way with Lucy Neatby's sock video, but have not tried it yet, it looks super easy. I've never done anything super fancy, due to not being able to watch basketkball and have to concentrate on a pattern. It's just a nice way to go "mindless". Ms. Neatby also has a German cast-on for edges and I'm going to try it on my next pair.

My favorite yarn for socks is Cascade 220 Superwash, well most superwash yarns are great for socks, and wear well, but this one wears great. I love striping yarns (thin), Cleckheaton is wonderful (wool) and wears well, also dog fur if the spin is just right. They are extremely warm and fuzzy, but you have to wash very carefully. I've had 2 wolf/hybrids and brushed them a lot and had a lot of the hair processed into yarn, also have some Bouvier, Golden Retriever, Aussie, and lots of Great Pyranees (white), I'm currently working on a pair of mittens out of Samoyed. Very beautiful and fuzzy.

I made a video (VHS ) and sent it to a woman in Los Angeles, and wished I had made a copy, but since that media has gone south, I might make one for a DVD next winter. I posted all my steps via photos on my business web-site. I always have 2 or 3 pairs of socks going at one time for sitting in waiting rooms, and waiting in CalTrans lines as they do their road repair along US395 in the Eastern Sierra, and keep a baby blanket in progress under my car seat. I just hate wasting time sitting and waiting. I'm a bit of a workaholic also. I only knit during the winter (Nov. thru April), and tie flies when time permits at work.
Sorry, this is a bit long. Just wanted to say hi and look forward to reading a lot about what type of socks everyone is working on and see if anyone is doing anything new as in the Cat Bordhi book Pathways.........some really unusual methods.....Yarnfly.
yarnfly

Return to All About Socks